WordPress Frontend Designer/Developer
- Propose modified layouts and functionality, e.g., home page, right-hand sidebar, Paypal page, donation thank-you page and calendaring (auto-updating of users’ calendars)
- Propose alternate navigation structure. Currently, site is blog/post rather than topic/page-centered.
- Update the existing theme to be more mobile-friendly
- Set up to be modified and maintained through child themes.
- Modifying calendar system, e.g., to auto-update users’ calendars
- Able to periodically solve site and plug-in problems without interfering with site’s core functionality.
- Able to make changes through child themes, especially for CSS customizations
- Good knowledge of plug-ins’ strengths and weaknesses
- Current issues include RSS functionality, removal of extraneous social media icons and design of 404 error page.
Website Content Manager
- Write, edit and proofread portions of site content under the supervision of the executive director.
- Sufficient skills in HTML, WordPress and Photoshop (or equivalent) to create landing pages.
- Propose improvements to structure and categorization of site content.
- Ensure core content stays up to date and is consistent. Strong attention to detail.
- Report on site metrics to stakeholders.
Feature Story Writer. The Community Coalition on Race (CCR) needs 4 writers who can generate short or long feature stories, touching upon CCR’s activities, that media companies covering community, schooling, and racial/ethnic diversity and inclusion issues wish to publish. CCR’s publicist will provide you with topics, and give you the contacts and basic information needed to develop each story. All stories are considered draft and require review and approval by the Executive Director. Once approved, stories will be pitched to various media outlets by CCR’s publicist. Volunteers will receive byline credit for articles that are published. Volunteers are welcome to write only one story, to work on one topic or to write multiple articles. Interested volunteers should contact CCR Program Director Audrey Rowe. You can call her at 973-761-6116, Monday to Wednesday, between 1 and 5 pm, or you can email firstname.lastname@example.org. We would like the work to start in April and potentially continue for the rest of the year. (Job posted 4/1/2016.)
Graphic Designer. The Community Coalition on Race (CCR) needs 3 graphic designers to develop design options for use on flyers, street banners, and social media promoting CCR’s programs and projects. All submissions are subject to approval and edits by the Coalition’s Executive Director and become the unrestricted property of CCR. Flyers will credit the volunteer who designed it. You may design one option or submit multiple options depending upon your interests and available time. Designs will need to be editable in the software that CCR uses. Interested volunteers should contact CCR Program Director Audrey Rowe. You can call her at 973-761-6116, Monday to Wednesday, between 1 and 5 pm, or you can email email@example.com. You will be asked about relevant graphic-design training and for examples of past work. We would like the work to start in April. (Job posted 4/1/2016.)
Volunteer Opportunities on XRootsFest Committee
XRootsFest (pronounced cross-roots-fest) aims to leverage the rich interwoven diversity of South Orange and Maplewood to become the region’s premier multicultural festival. This year, it will occur on July 16, 2016 on Floods Hill in South Orange. The festival is produced by the Community Coalition on Race. XRootsFest will bring together a crisscrossing array of exciting ethnic music, dance, food and crafts. Celebrate the roots of your own culture and experience the cultures flowing into today’s American culture. To learn more, click here.
Sponsorship Managers. Positions to start immediately and last 2+ months, for 2+ hours a week. In conjunction with others on the XRootsFest committee, develop elevator pitches and short presentations that you will share with prominent local business people. Put your relationships in the community to use, and build new relationships. Help create sponsorship options that will help XRootsFest develop into a large-scale festival. People with good potential fundraising/development skills welcome. After the festival, involvement with comparable Coalition projects welcome too.
Event Marketers. Positions to start immediately and last 2+ months, for 2+ hours a week. In conjunction with Coalition staff and its publicist, plan, create and execute online and offline messaging and materials to build XRootsFest’s local and regional attendance, and to attract the best performers, food vendors and merchants for the multicultural festival. We’re looking for a blend of multi-channel publicity and marketing skills, combined with knowledge of how to reach out to different market segments. People with professional marketing skills welcome. After the festival, involvement with comparable Coalition projects welcome too.
Promotion Assistants. One-to-two-week positions, for 3+ hours per week . The work will be relatively brief and may not begin until early July, but we’re looking for volunteers and their ideas now. Open to both adults and teenagers. We’re looking for enthusiastic, outgoing people that can be instrumental to XRootsFest’s success as the area’s leading multicultural festival. You would distribute and hand out flyers promoting XRootsFest during the 2 weeks prior to the July 16 event. Flyers need to be attached to bulletin boards and handed out at high-traffic locations, e.g., in the downtowns, when rush-hour trains arrive. Additional ideas and strategies for spreading the word are also welcome.